White Mountains Backpacking Adventure: Garfield Loop
Time & Location
About The Event
Take in the breathtaking views of many of New Hampshire's 48 4,000 footers, scramble a challenging section of trail and enjoy solitude of the Pemigewassett Wilderness at camp. This overnight trip is the perfect way to get a taste of backpacking in the White Mountains and climbing one of the 4,000 footers. A challenging 13.3 mile loop will bring our group to the summit of Mount Garfield and along a short stretch of the famed Appalachian Trail.
This trip will include educational segments on skills, but our primary objective will be an exciting adventure. It is open to all though you will most likely find it suitable if you are:
- First-time backpacker with some day-hiking, car-camping experience and are interested in learning to go on more overnight or multi-day trips
- Beginner backpacker looking to improve know-how and has a high level of fitness
- Intermediate backpacker who wants to improve skills and modernize gear
- Advanced backpacker wanting to hone in on specifics and have an adventure in the mountains
Other considerations for this trip:
- You should enjoy hiking at a relatively fast pace and enjoy more time on the trail than at camp
- You look forward to climbing and descending peaks, passes and ridgelines
- You are comfortable carrying a 20+ lb pack for 15-20 miles a day
Group size is 5. RSVP is required. Registration closes on June 19, 2021. Waiver/Assumption of Risk documents are required before participation and can be signed electronically or in person the day of this trip. This event will be held rain or shine.
If you have any questions or you would like to register for this trip, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me: Mat, email@example.com
Cost: $325 per person
- 5 Star backpacking guiding and instruction
- Group gear rental including headlamps, cookset, fuel, first-aid supplies, gear repair kit, bear bag, etc.
- National Forest permit and/or campsite permit (reservations)
- Breakfasts, dinners, water, 2 snacks
- Free product
- Demo gear rental including shelters (tent, hammock system or tarp/bivy), stoves, sleeping bags, sleeping pads and water treatment
What's Not Included:
- Parking or entry fee (if required)
- Personal gear and supplies
- Additional snacks and food
What To Expect:
Exact trip details (meeting location, time, etc) will be specified weeks or even months before your trip. The itinerary below is simply meant to help you plan your travel and to better understand how the trip will flow.
- Meet at our entry point 10am
- Make introductions
- Distribute group food
- Distribute group gear
- Check personal gear, supplies & make final decisions
- Begin hiking
- Learn & discuss navigation, water treatment, first aid, gear repair, foot care
- Arrive at camp, learn and discuss campsite selection, campsite setup, bear bag hanging, fire starting (if regulations allow), pre-meal meditation
- Meal, clean-up
- Personal time/lights out
- Breakfast, campsite breakdown
- Around noon +/-1 or 2 hours arrive back to entry point
- Sort through personal and group gear
- Final group meal (optional)
Why Should You Join This Trip:
This is a one-of-a-kind experience that will primarily focus on an exciting adventure. This trip will still include fundamentals refresher opportunities throughout our time in the mountains and will also help you leave feeling confident, strong, creative, relaxed and ready for the next adventure. Many of us have limited opportunities to backpack in beautiful places. This weekend is focused on you and providing you with a creative and enhanced experience. You will be kept on your toes, but be under the guidance of a reputable, credible and accomplished professional guide who wants to make the wilderness accessible and enjoyable for you at the highest level.
Learn hands-on skills that will make backpacking fun, not work. You’ll learn trip planning techniques to make the process less stressful and overwhelming. Enjoy your backpacking experiences more. Get experience-backed information that is tailored to you, your preferences, your experience and your budget. Try out gear, see things and learn about them before going out and buying it yourself.
Avoid learning things the hard way and enjoy a safe, comfortable wild experience.
- Full payment is required to register. Trip cost includes a 10% non-refundable administrative fee. If you cancel more than 14 days prior to your trip's start date you will receive a full refund (less the 10% administrative fee).
- If you cancel within the preceding 14 days, do not show on the day of your trip, or reschedule within 48 hours, you forfeit your payment.
- If your program is cancelled due to inclement weather, we can reschedule for a better day, or we can offer a full refund. Please call to discuss weather concerns by noon 2 days prior to your trip if you wish to reschedule. If we experience bad weather locally, we will pro rate your trip on a 50% basis. Trips take place rain, shine or snow.
Please note: The guide always reserves the right to change or suggest alternate objectives based on trip conditions. Sometimes these conditions aren’t apparent until we arrive or are in the middle of the trip. If this occurs we may be forced to turn back. We are always looking to reward our guests with the best experiences. This is left to the judgement of the guide in all circumstances. If time on the trip permits, we may opt to go to another nearby location.
Gratuities are not included and are always greatly appreciated. They typically range from 5-10%.
- Backpacking White Mountains$325$3250$0