Sat, Jun 06|
Bigelow Hollow State Park
National Trails Day Backpacking Adventure: Northeastern CT
Difficulty: Moderate/Challenging Elevation Gain: 3,436 ft Duration: 2 Days Group Size: 5
Time & Location
Jun 06, 2020, 10:00 AM – Jun 07, 2020, 4:00 PM
Bigelow Hollow State Park, 298 Bigelow Hollow Rd, Union, CT 06076, USA
About The Event
Join Reach Your Summit for a 2 Day/1 Night one-of-a-kind backpacking adventure to celebrate National Trails Day! Now in our fourth year of offering backpacking since its inception for NTD (CT Trails Weekend), this annual tradition will bring us to a quiet section of Connecticut within Nipmuck State Forest for 2020. This moderate/challenging 35.8 mile lollipop loop backpacking trip passes through thick forest, by multiple waterside views and into two states. The trip will offer a deeper connection to ourselves, nature, each other and the communities through which we travel. Highlights include: Bigelow Hollow, Breakneck Pond, pine forests, glacial rock formations, state forests, a possible bear/moose sighting and more.
This trip will include educational segments on skills, but our primary objective will be an exciting adventure. It is open to all though you will most likely find it suitable if you are:
- Beginner backpacker who has a high level of fitness
- Intermediate backpacker who wants to improve skills and modernize gear
- Advanced backpacker wanting to hone in on specifics and have an adventure
Other considerations for this trip:
- You should enjoy hiking at a relatively fast pace and enjoy more time on the trail than at camp
- You look forward to climbing and descending peaks, passes and ridgelines
- You are comfortable carrying a 25+ lb pack for 15-20 miles a day
Group size is 5. RSVP is required. Registration closes on May 9, 2020. Waiver/Assumption of Risk documents are required before participation and can be signed electronically or in person the day of this trip. This event will be held rain or shine.
If you have any questions or you would like to register for this trip, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me: Mat, email@example.com
- 5 Star backpacking guiding and instruction
- Permit and/or campsite permit (reservations)
What's Not Included:
- Group gear rental including headlamps, cookset, fuel, first-aid supplies, gear repair kit, bear bag, etc.
- Demo gear rental including shelters, stoves, sleeping bags, sleeping pads and water treatment
- Personal gear and supplies
- Meals, snacks and food
- Park entry fees (if required)
What Will You Learn:
This is a one-of-a-kind experience that will primarily focus on an exciting adventure. This trip will still include limited fundamentals refresher opportunities throughout our time in the mountains and will also help you leave feeling confident, strong, creative, relaxed and ready for the next adventure.
What To Expect:
Exact trip details (meeting location, time, etc) will be specified weeks or even months before your trip. The itinerary below is simply meant to help you plan your travel and to better understand how the trip will flow.
- Meet at our entry point 10am
- Make introductions
- Distribute group food
- Distribute group gear
- Check personal gear, supplies & make final decisions
- Begin hiking
- Learn & discuss navigation, Leave No Trace Principles, water treatment, first aid, gear repair, foot care
- Arrive at camp, learn and discuss campsite selection, campsite setup, bear bag hanging, fire starting (if regulations allow), pre-meal meditation
- Meal, clean-up
- Personal time/lights out
- Breakfast, campsite breakdown
- Around noon +/-1 or 2 hours arrive back to entry point
- Sort through personal and group gear
Why Should You Join This Trip:
This is a one-of-a-kind experience that will primarily focus on an exciting adventure. This trip will still include fundamentals refresher opportunities throughout our time in the mountains and will also help you leave feeling confident, strong, creative, relaxed and ready for the next adventure. Many of us have limited opportunities to backpack in beautiful places. This weekend is focused on you and providing you with a creative and enhanced experience. You will be kept on your toes, but be under the guidance of a reputable, credible and accomplished professional guide who wants to make the wilderness accessible and enjoyable for you at a high level.
Learn hands-on skills that will make backpacking fun, not work. You’ll learn trip planning techniques to make the process less stressful and overwhelming. Enjoy your backpacking experiences more. Get experience-backed information that is tailored to you, your preferences, your experience and your budget. Try out gear, see things and learn about them before going out and buying it yourself.
Avoid learning things the hard way and enjoy a safe, comfortable wild experience.
Gratuities are always greatly appreciated and typically range from 5-10%.
*This is a free event sponsored by Reach Your Summit. Guide services are complimentary, equipment & transportation are not provided. Thank you to the following organizations who support this special event: