Sat, Jun 03|
National Trails Day Backpacking Adventure: Natchaug Trail
Difficulty: Easy/Moderate Elevation Gain: 2,646 ft Duration: 2 Days Group Size: 5
Time & Location
Jun 03, 8:30 AM – Jun 04, 2:00 PM
Natchaug Trail, Nathaniel Lyon Memorial Park, Eastford, CT 06242, USA
About The Event
Join Reach Your Summit for a 2 Day/1 Night one-of-a-kind backpacking adventure on the Natchaug & Nipmuck Trails to celebrate National Trails Day/CT Trails Weekend! This 20.5 mile out-and-back trip will offer a deeper connection to ourselves, nature, each other and the communities through which we travel. Highlights include: dense forests, water views, a unique camp, a 400+ year old footpath and more. For a look at the elevation profile for this trip click here.
This trip will include educational segments on skills, but our primary objective will be an exciting adventure. It is open to all though you will most likely find it suitable if you are:
- Beginner backpacker who has a high level of fitness
- Intermediate backpacker who wants to improve skills and modernize gear
- Advanced backpacker wanting to hone in on specifics and have an adventure in the mountains
Other considerations for this trip:
- You should enjoy hiking at a relatively fast pace and enjoy more time on the trail than at camp
- You look forward to climbing and descending peaks, passes and ridgelines
- You are comfortable carrying a 20+ lb pack for 11 miles a day
Group size is 5. RSVP is required. Registration closes on May 6, 2023. Waiver/Assumption of Risk documents are required before participation and can be signed electronically or in person the day of this trip. This event will be held rain or shine.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me: Mat, email@example.com
- 5 Star backpacking guiding and instruction
- Permit and/or campsite permit (reservations)
What's Not Included:
- Group gear rental including headlamps, cookset, fuel, first-aid supplies, gear repair kit, bear bag, etc.
- Demo gear rental including shelters, stoves, sleeping bags, sleeping pads and water treatment
- Personal gear and supplies
- Meals, snacks and bottled water
- Park entry fees (if required)
What Will You Learn:
- Trip planning
- Gear selection
- On-trail & Off-trail navigation
- Basic Map-reading
- Operation of compass
- Foot care & Footwear
- Food planning and nutrition
- Water quality assessment & treatment
- Campsite selection
- Shelter setups
- Stove operation
- How to pack a backpack
- Bear bag hanging
- Wildlife precautions and encounters
What To Expect:
Exact trip details (meeting location, time, etc) will be specified weeks or even months before your trip, and will be emailed to you. The itinerary below is simply meant to help you plan your travel and to better understand how the trip will flow.
- Meet at our entry point 10am
- Make introductions
- Distribute group food
- Distribute group gear
- Check personal gear, supplies & make final decisions
- Begin hiking
- Short lunch break
- Arrive at camp
- Meal, clean-up
- Personal time/lights out
- Breakfast, campsite breakdown
- Short lunch break
- Around 2pm +/-1 hour arrive back to entry point
Why Should You Join This Trip:
This is a one-of-a-kind experience that will primarily focus on an exciting adventure. This trip will still include fundamentals refresher opportunities throughout our time in the mountains and will also help you leave feeling confident, strong, creative, relaxed and ready for the next adventure. Many of us have limited opportunities to backpack in beautiful places. This weekend is focused on you and providing you with a creative and enhanced experience. You will be kept on your toes, but be under the guidance of a reputable, credible and accomplished professional guide who wants to make the wilderness accessible and enjoyable for you at a high level.
Learn hands-on skills that will make backpacking fun, not work. You’ll learn trip planning techniques to make the process less stressful and overwhelming. Enjoy your backpacking experiences more. Get experience-backed information that is tailored to you, your preferences, your experience and your budget. Try out gear, see things and learn about them before going out and buying it yourself.
Avoid learning things the hard way and enjoy a safe, comfortable wild experience.
Gratuities are not included and are always greatly appreciated. The industry standard ranges from 15-20%.
*This is a free event sponsored by Reach Your Summit. Guide services are complimentary, equipment & transportation are not provided. Thank you to the following organizations who support this special event: